Kasugai Gardens (1435 Water Street)

Kasugai GardensKasugai Gardens (1435 Water Street)
Named for one of Kelowna's sister cities, and located off Queensway Avenue immediately east of City Hall, Kasugai Gardens offers a tranquil environment featuring traditional elements of a Japanese garden, such as stone lanterns, pine trees and a waterfall and pond. The gardens comprise 0.31 hectares and were completed in 1987 to symbolize the friendship between Kelowna and Kasugai, Japan, sister cities since 1981. The gardens are a perfect place for a stroll, picture taking and even a small wedding ceremony. With the exception of small wedding ceremonies, this park is not available for rental.

At a ceremony on October 22, 1983, in recognition of the growing friendship between the two cities, Kasugai dedicated a street and named it “Kelowna Boulevard.” A smaller replica of “The Sails” sculpted by Kelowna’s own Dow Reid was erected along the boulevard with a beautiful stream running through it.

Kasugai GardensAfter some deliberation, City Council and the Kelowna-Kasugai Sister City Association decided to construct a “Japanese Garden” to commemorate the two cities’ relationship.
On July 28, 1984, the site was dedicated and marked with a commemorative plaque inscribed “The Friendship of our Two Cities is reflected in the beauty of this Garden which links together the citizens of Kelowna and Kasugai.” Shortly after this ceremony, arrangements were made to have a landscape architect from Japan provide the Kelowna Parks Department with the construction details designed to enhance the available space. By year-end, conceptual drawings were in hand and tentative approval from the Sister City Association and Council was received. Excavation of the site began in the autumn of 1985.
During the summer, a search of the surrounding hills for rock suitable for use in the garden led us to the Indian reserve land and good supply of excellent quality stone was donated. Kasugai GardensOther solicitations resulted in the donation of a substantial quantity of timber bamboo from the Hong Kong Pavilion at EXPO 86, and a local irrigation company (Valley Water Works) provided the pumps and fittings for the waterfall, stream, and pond.

As the summer of 1986 approached, the garden was beginning to draw much attention, and finally on July 24, 1987, an informal “completion” party was held in the garden. The next day “Kasugai Garden Park” was officially opened to the public.

Kasugai Garden is a perfect place for a stroll, picture taking and even a small wedding ceremony.

button Circle of Friendship Sculpture

Circle of Friendship SculptureThe sculpture “Circle Of Friendship” by Geert Maas was erected at the entrance to Kasugai Gardens on January 27, 1997.
It is a memorial to Yukihisa (Roy) Tanaka for his dedication to Kasugai Gardens and his outstanding service to cultural exchanges between Japan and Canada. Yukihisa (Roy) Tanaka passed away at home November 3, 1995 after returning from an official visit to Kasugai, Japan.

arrow  Roy Tanaka